Garden Tool Awards 2013
Another year has passed and the most prestigious awards in the garden industry are about to be announced – cue drum roll! Once again, this year’s Quality Garden Tools ‘Garden Tool Award’ winners come from a variety of suppliers who have strived to make the best tools they can.
All of our winning tools are assessed over a period of months and worked extremely hard to ensure that their build quality is fully tested. For the first time this year we took into account how many of each tool were returned to us faulty (if any) and this means that the tools that have won this year are less likely to cause customers a problem than ever before.
This year’s Garden Tool Awards winners are:
• The best ‘new’ garden tool award goes to ARS for their KR1000 Lightweight Hedge shears – longer than the originals, the new shears are lightweight with ergonomically shaped handles and chrome plated blades. These shears are very good for topiary and yew and box hedging.
• The ‘value for money’ tool award is awarded to Felco for their Model 310 Pruning Shears – a very useful tool for any gardener. Great for cut flowers, grapes, vegetables and herbs yet priced at an economical £13.50 (excl. p&p) – every gardener should have a pair.
• The pruning tool award goes to the Original-LÖWE ‘Best of both Worlds’ 22.100 Loppers – a longer reach than any other lopper with 100cm handles. They are profiled like bypass loppers but have strong anvil blades and are much more rigid than standard loppers with extending handles.
• The best digging tool award is won once again by UK garden tool manufacturers, Bulldog Tools for their Garden Spade with 32" handle – a tough solid forged digging spade with an extra long Ash ‘YD’ handle which is 4" longer than a standard spade and reduces back strain.
• The best cultivating tool award is awarded to Spear & Jackson for their Traditional 3 Prong Cultivator – a really useful tool for borders and vegetable patches. The long 12" hardwood handle gives extra reach while the polished stainless steel prongs reduce soil adhesion.
• The best children’s garden tool award is won by Bulldog Tools for their Stainless Steel Children’s Garden Tools Set – a great value set including spade, fork, hoe and rake with a free brush that will allow children to work in the garden properly, just like mum and dad!
• The most innovative tool award is awarded to Keira for their range of new stackable watering cans – with a design that reduces transport costs significantly and manufactured from recycled and recyclable polypropylene. Available in four bright colours and in 2, 5 and 10 litre sizes.
• The best garden accessory award goes to D.M.T. for their Double Sided Diafold sharpening stone – perfect for sharpening knives, secateurs, pruners, loppers and shears. The folding sharpener is coarse on one side to remove burrs and fine on the other for a sharper edge.
Finally, the main awards of the year:
• Best garden tool for 2013 is awarded to Silky Saws for their amazing Hayauchi 6300mm Pole Saw which has a very sharp 390mm blade and 3 extensions allowing it to reach up to 6.3 metres. The aluminium alloy poles are lighter than steel and the saw can also be fitted with a lopper attachment.
• Best garden tool manufacturer for 2013 is awarded to Japanese pruning tool manufacturer, Okatsune who make secateurs, pruners and hedge shears of incredible quality and offer great customer service and stock availability.
We are consistently impressed by how our suppliers continue to work to improve the quality and durability of their tools. All the winning tools (and lots more) can be viewed and purchased online at: www.qualitygardentools.com